Summary of the Main Events

Turkish General Staff

According to Chief of Turkish Military Gen Hulusi AKAR’s testimony [1], he received an intelligence from the National Intelligence Agency (MIT) at around 17:00 on a possible coup attempt and one of the MIT deputies visited him at the HQ (Surprisingly, AKAR did not mention the visit of Chief of MIT Hakan FIDAN, in his testimony). He summoned his Deputy Gen GULER and Army Chief Gen COLAK to discuss the possible precautions.

Chief of MIT FIDAN came to the HQ at 18:10 and had been there with AKAR until 20:22 [2]. FIDAN helped AKAR take countrywide measures, including denial of Turkish Air Space to all military flights and seizure all routine military activities in Ankara. FIDAN then left the HQ after having stayed around two and a half hours. Neither AKAR nor FIDAN, according to testimonies, called and informed ERDOGAN or the Prime Minister before the start of the events. Gen AKAR also did not explain what he talked in detail with the Chief of MIT during the two and a half hours they spent together. After FIDAN’s departure at 20:22, AKAR did not change his location and stayed at his office until the events started.

According to AKAR’s testimony, at around 21:00 Maj Gen DISLI, a long time associate to AKAR, tried to convince him to lead the coup, but AKAR refused. AKAR’s Military Aide, Lieutenant Colonel TURKKAN, together with some Special Forces officers, detained AKAR [3].

The dissenters allegedly had sent an order at 22:15 to all units declaring that Turkish Armed Forces had seized power and had overthrown the Government. The alleged signatory was Brig Gen Mehmet PARTIGOC, Chief of Personnel Planning Division and a low ranking general in the TGS HQ. Then a press release was broadcast on state-owned TV channel TRT at 23:50, declaring that the Armed Forces had taken control of the Government to promote democracy and the rule of law in the country again.

The dissenters allegedly took AKAR and his Deputy Commander Gen GULER to Akinci Air Force Base, 40 km away from TGS HQ. Maj Gen DISLI also went with them. Footage snapshots revealed that Gen AKAR walked out of the HQ freely with no handcuffs, accompanied by a few armed personnel. The rest of the dissenters allegedly stayed at the HQ. They surrendered to the military police next morning. Most of them claimed that they were not involved in the events and locked themselves in their rooms for life safety. This was because several pro-ERDOGAN militias infiltrated the building during the night and some even lost their lives.

AKAR and other Service Chiefs except for chief of the Navy had been allegedly held in captivity at Akinci Air Force Base until they were released the next morning. According to AKAR’s testimony, throughout the night, the dissenting Generals tried to convince him multiple times to lead the coup but he persistently denied. Gen OZTURK testified that he acted in support of AKAR who drank tea with the others at the Base Commander’s office and watched TV throughout the night.

Next morning at around 06:30, the dissenters gave up and transferred AKAR to Prime Minister’s office in Ankara to arrange a peaceful end to their activities. On 16 of July at around 08:30, AKAR and DISLI went by helicopter to the Prime Minister’s office. Both DISLI and the pilots were later arrested with the accusation of participating in the attempt.

Aerial Bombings

Among the events on July 15th, perhaps the most critical question that awaits elucidation is the suspicious bombings carried out against symbolic targets in Ankara. At around 22:15 military jets were seen over Ankara conducting low-level high-speed passages. This was the first sign of something unexpected was happening.

At 23:18, bombs hit the Police Aviation Department located in Golbasi, Ankara and seven police officers lost their lives. At midnight, the Police Special Forces Compound exploded, and 44 policemen lost their lives. At 00:56, the Police Department HQ was blown up, and two policemen lost their lives.

At 03:14, TURKSAT spare satellite compound was exploded.

The most shocking bombing was the attack against the Turkish Parliament (in Turkish Turkiye Buyuk Millet Meclisi-TBMM). An explosion was recorded at the Parliament at 02:35, followed by two explosions at 03:24 later in the night. In the first attack, the Parliament garden was targeted. At the second one allegedly the building was targeted but the resultant damage is very contentious.

Shortly after the explosions, the Prime Minister told reporters on TV that the Parliament had been bombed by F-16s using a domestic Penetrator Bomb. These types of bombs have dual warheads. The first warhead clears the way for the second one, which allows the bomb to penetrate and deal devastating damage.

The images are below.




  1. When the air to ground bomb explodes, razor sharp pieces are scattered across with insane velocities. This is called fragmentation. A bomb fragment was presented as a souvenir to many politicians visiting Parliament, but there is no fragmentation damage on the walls.
  2. There should be two holes, one on the roof and one on the floor. Where is the damage dealt by the penetrating warhead? One cannot see two holes.
  3. It seems like a bomb went off right between those two columns. Lots of blast damage versus no fragmentation damage which is quite unconventional for an air-dropped bomb. Was there some C4 planted here?
  4. No fragmentation on the ceiling next to the explosion point? What caused the columns to buckle? If it was the weight of the roof, the roof itself should have sloped down.